Funny Writing Prompts for Kids FAQ
People sometimes ask for a funny writing prompts for kids FAQ.
Below are some funny writing ideas for children to get you started as kids’ group authors and some explanations.
My best advice, if you do not know where to start with funny book and story writing for kids, is just start, worry less about structure and go with the flow – you never know what adventure might unfold and where you might end up.
You might even end up with a plot for a best-selling book! Somebody has to!!
Enjoy the ride!!
Funny Writing Prompts for Kids FAQ
How to teach a child to write a story?
Step 1. Get an idea. Books are a good starting point or childhood memories or just something funny that you or the child remembers.
2. Develop a character and put the character in a situation or set the scene.
3. Begin with a bang or something funny that hooks in the reader or audience.
4. Decide on the conflict. What must be overcome or achieved for the story to have meaning?
5. Arrive at a fork in the road, a disaster, something that must be overcome to turn the tide.
6. How is that problem resolved? Always a good, positive, learning experience for children’s books.
7. A happy ending! Come on! This is a kids’ book!! Happy, warming satisfaction out of hardship and learning.
How can I make writing fun for kids?
Step 1. Be happy, enthusiastic and engaging.
2. Perhaps make use a writing ideas generator.
3. Go for things that are fun that the child actually likes.
4. Create fun, extreme, larger than life characters to draw and engage with.
5. Create a plot for your story.
6. Journey with the characters through the plot.
7. Expand on the plot to develop the situations that the characters find themselves in.
8. Aim for a happy ending and build towards a positive change and/or learning experience.
What are good topics for kids?
You could use a writing ideas generator to create funny kids drawing and writing prompts.
Good topics are:
*Gooey, smelly, icky, sticky funny stuff
*Always try to improve their writing skills and vocabulary
*Positive change, a lesson learned and a happy ending.
How do you make writing activities fun?
For me, fun writing is full of over the top enthusiasm and funny stuff.
1. I find and use ideas I know that the children resonate with.
2. I select striking characters and give them funny or mean elements.
3. I pick common animals and explain fantasy beasts so the children can draw them.
4. We then put the characters and animals into funny situations and go on an adventure.
5. I always try and incorporate a learning experience and/or a positive change.
6. The End = A happy ending!
What are writing prompts for kids?
Writing prompts are creative writing ideas for children.
Some examples include:
Use a funny comment from memory and build your story around it.
Write a story that creates a big adventure.
Give the characters a little depth with striking descriptions, jobs, and equipment that children can draw such as:
What is the best job in the world, the funniest or the worst job in the world?
Their dream product or place and what it might contain such as:
*Their dream plane
*Their dream flying object
*Their dream house
*Their dream car
*Their dream boat
How to encourage a child to write a story creatively?
Step 1: Adapt your approach to the age group concerned.
2. Childhood memories or funny comments can spark a story.
3. Use an everyday item or situation and make it funny and fictional.
4. Give the story a plot or theme or main idea.
5. The main character must be clear.
6. The main character should have some clear habits or traits.
7. Set the introductory scene, paint a picture of it with words.
8. Thrust the main character into the story in such a way that it hooks the reader or audience. They call this the inciting incident.
What to write about when you don't know what to write about?
Step 1. Try using a writing ideas generator to find writing and drawing prompts for children.
2. Find fun things that the child likes and get creative with them.
3. Create characters to illustrate and engage with. Good topics include: animals, fantasy animals, funniest, best and worst people, gooey, icky, smelly, sticky, funny stuff.
4. Try to develop a game, story plot, journey or adventure.
5. Try to become or get into the head of the characters and take a journey through the plot or adventure.
6. Expand and explore the plot situations that the characters could find themselves in.
7. Build on and stretch the children’s drawing, writing skills and vocabulary.
8. A happy ending is a must, even better with a learning experience and positive change.
What is a children’s story ideas generator?
Story idea generators ask questions to make suggestions to help writers create story, plot and character ideas.
There are lots of these on the internet – just Google “children’s story ideas generator?” to start a writing ideas generator.
Subscribe To The Newsletter For RK Alker Fun Kids’ Author Chorley, Lancashire
- Maybe even hit me up on the Social Media (links provided at the top right and side)
And of course you can contact me here
Ideas for Middle School
I hope you enjoyed the creative writing topics for kindergarten from 4th grade, 7-year-olds to 10 and 11-year-olds.
Homeschool Creative Writing Ideas
I hope you found the above helpful in answering at least a few questions about how to encourage creative writing.
I hope you enjoyed my Funny Writing Prompts for Kids FAQ
R.K. Alker Children’s Author
Some people argue there are some words that are an inherently funny word.
I suppose this could fall into the theory of writing about writing.
RK Alker is an author of funny children’s books from Lancashire, England, United Kingdom, Earth!
Find RK Alker Children’s Author Events, Book Readings, Children’s Bedtime Stories, Kids Storytelling, School Visits, Children’s Book Signings and more on Eventbrite.
My little girls think R.K. Alker is The World’s Best Kids’ Author.